The Consultation & Planning Process
Choosing to have implant treatment is a big decision and something worth discussing with your loved ones. If you are thinking about getting dental implants, it is essential that you come in for a consultation where your suitability for this particular treatment can be thoroughly assessed.
Here is what you can expect at a typical consultation:
- Part of the consultation will involve answering questions about your medical history, your lifestyle and habits, as well as how you would like your smile to look after treatment. Factors like your oral health and jawbone density will also be taken into account.
- This initial consultation is a good opportunity for you to ask any questions that you might have about the treatment and to discuss your preference.
- You may, following the initial consultation elect to proceed to a formal treatment planning session, where over a 30-45min appointment all the information needed to plan implant treatment is gathered. This may include, photographs, models of your teeth, x-rays, a CT scan, accurate gum measurements, assessment of your bite and jaw joints. As a result of this your treatment will be discussed and planned by the specialists. A personal written plan is produced which explains in detail the options open to you, together with a full break down of the costs, time scale and any additional information you need to make an informed choice.
- The consultation gives you the chance to ask questions you might have about your teeth directly to a professional.
- It’s a great way to meet the dentist and team who will eventually perform the procedure, if you choose to go ahead.